A Moroccan in his 30’s is planning a truck or bus ramming attack in Barcelona. This is stated on a tweet posted today. Barcelona is a travel and tourism city and is under high terror alert this Christmas. Catalan police have received a tip-off warning of a possible terror threat to the city of Barcelona.
The U.S. embassy issued this alert on their website for Spain and Andorra for American visitors to the city.
U.S. citizens should exercise heightened caution around areas of vehicle movement, including buses, in the Las Ramblas area of Barcelona (Plaza Catalunya to Plaza del Portal de la Pau) during the Christmas and New Year’s holidays.
We remind U.S. citizens that Spain is currently at a Level 2 Travel Advisory: exercise increased caution due to terrorism. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, and other public areas. U.S. citizens are reminded to remain vigilant with regard to their personal security.
Actions à entreprendre:
- Avoid the area.
- Exercise additional vigilance at holiday festivals and events.
- Soyez conscient de votre environnement.
- Stay alert in public places, including at churches, tourist locations, schools, hospitals, and on public and private transportation.
- Follow instructions and view updates from police and government authorities (see below).
- Review your personal security plans.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Know how to use the local phone system. Dial “112” to reach emergency services throughout Spain. There is always an English-speaker on duty.